Whitening your teeth is a great way to get the smile you have always dreamed of. An easy way to whiten your teeth would be to use an at-home teeth whitening kit that you can receive from your dentist. However, you might notice some sensitivity to your teeth afterwards. If this is the case, here are five ways to help cope with it:
- Lower the Peroxide Level: Ask your dentist or check on the details of the kit to determine the peroxide level. If you are sensitive to it, ask your dentist to provide a product with a lower peroxide level. Although you may be disappointed because a lower peroxide level won't be as effective in getting your teeth as white as you want, it will be worth it in the end because you won't have so much sensitivity.
- Use a Sensitivity Toothpaste and a Soft-Bristled Toothbrush: A sensitivity toothpaste can easily help to alleviate pain along with using a soft-bristled brush. A soft-bristle won't do as much damage to the enamel of your teeth. The enamel is what protects the nerves of your teeth, so if there is damage done to it, you can experience more pain and discomfort than usual.
- Brush Before You Whiten: A good rule of thumb is to always brush your teeth before you whiten instead of after. This is because if you brush after whitening, it can open the pores on the teeth even more, thus exposing you to more sensitive reactions.
- Use a Desensitizing Gel: Ask your dentist about desensitizing gel if you are having a difficult time dealing with sensitivity when whitening your teeth. Your dentist can prescribe a specific desensitizing gel that he or she feels is right for you. By applying this gel before you whiten your teeth, it can prepare your teeth for the whitening process and make the recovery of teeth whitening easier.
- Rinse Your Mouth: Rinsing your mouth after whitening your teeth helps to balance the pH in your mouth. This is important because it gets rid of the acidic pH that whitening products add, which helps you recover more quickly.
By knowing some of the ways to deal with sensitivity when whitening your teeth, you can be sure that you are able to get the smile you want without having to live uncomfortably. You can also consider other options to improve the appearance of your teeth, such as Willow West Dental Office Veneers.